Common Questions and answers about the TSJC Nursing Programs.
How many options are there at Trinidad State Junior College Nursing Department?
- Nursing Assistant
- Practical Nursing (PN) exit option after year one of in the nursing program (AAS in Nursing)
- Associate Degree of Applied Science in Nursing (Professional Nurse) Traditional and Evening/Weekend Program (E/W Trinidad campus only)
- Dual Enrollment with a partner university for a Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN)
How are the programs different?
- The Nursing Assistant program provides the required training, both theory and clinical practice, to become a CNA (Certified Nurses Aide). It takes one semester or less.
- The Practical Nursing Program provides the required training, both theory and clinical practice, to become eligible to take the NCLEX-PN and attain a LPN (Licensed Practical Nurse). NUR 169 must be taken at the conclusion of the second semester of nursing school. It takes one year of nursing courses and approximately one semester of pre-requisite courses.
- The Associate Degree of Applied Science in Nursing Program provides the required education, both theory and clinical practice, to become eligible to take the NCLEX-RN and attain a RN (Registered Nurse). It takes two years of nursing courses and approximately one semester of pre-requisite courses.
- The dual enrollment for a Bachelors of Science in Nursing can be completed with any of our partner universities. These universities allow TSJC Nursing Students to take BSN courses while in the ADN program. Please contact the Nursing Advisor for more information on the various options with the different partners.
How do I apply for the Nurse Aide Program?
- All applications will be completed on-line through the TSJC Online Nursing Application.
- You must complete the pre-requisite general education courses with a GPA of 2.5 or higher. They are Human Anatomy & Physiology I, English Composition, and Human Growth and Development. No more than one grade of W, D, or F allowed during the prerequisite BIO courses.
How do I apply for the Practical or Professional Nursing Program?
- Complete an application for admission to Trinidad State Junior College.
- Have official transcripts sent to Trinidad State Junior College from any other colleges attended.
- Schedule an appointment to take the placement assessment exam. Contact the Student Service Center in Trinidad at 719-846-5473 or the Learning Center in Alamosa at 719-589-7107.
Can I apply for these programs anytime?
- Yes, all mandatory prerequisite courses must be completed by the summer semester prior to fall admission.
- Acceptance is not confirmed until all grades are posted and requirements are met.
- All students are admitted on a point system criterion.
Does TSJC give advanced credit for having a Practical Nursing education?
Students requesting admission into the third and fourth semesters must:
- Supply current active unencumbered licensure
- Present official transcripts from all previous colleges
- Meet all prerequisite requirements
- Additional courses may apply
- Those who do not have an active license or who have not practiced within three years are required to begin courses as a new student.