Veteran Benefits Links
- Veterans Intent to Register Application (pdf)
- VA GI Bill Feedback System Link
- VA Comparison Tool Link
- Veterans Benefits and Transition Act of 2018 (pdf)
Trinidad State Junior College is approved by the Colorado State Approving Agency for Veterans Education. Our degree and certificate programs are approved for payment of educational benefits to those veterans and dependents that are determined eligible by the Veterans Administration.
Veteran education benefits are administered through the TSJC Financial Aid Office. While this office cannot determine eligibility, the primary function of the School Certifying Official (SCO) is to certify and report enrollment information to the Veterans Administration to facilitate the receipt of benefits by eligible students.
To apply for Veteran Education Benefits with Trinidad State the first time you must:
- First apply for VA benefits through the VA website: http://benefits.va.gov/gibill
- Submit official transcripts from any previous institution(s) attended and your military joint transcript(s) for transfer evaluation. Transcripts should be sent to the Admissions Office at Trinidad State, 600 Prospect St., Trinidad, CO 81082.
- Joint Service Military Transcripts, can be ordered online at: https://jst.doded.mil/official.html
- If transferring to TSJC and education benefits were used elsewhere, VA Form 22-1995 Request for Change of Program or Place of Training must be submitted to the Financial Aid Office
- Be seeking a degree or certificate program approved for education benefits
- Submit a copy of the Veteran’s DD214 showing the discharge status to the Financial Aid Office
- Submit a copy of your Certificate of Eligibility Letter to the Financial Aid Office
- Complete the Intent to Register Application
- Submit a copy of your Degree Plan signed by your Academic Advisor for each degree/certificate you are seeking.
Every subsequent semester at TSJC you must:
- Maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress
- Complete the Intent to Register Application
- Submit a new copy of your Degree Plan signed by your Academic Advisor only if you are changing or adding a new degree/certificate.
It is imperative that you submit The Intent to Register Application and any new Degree Plans you may need for every semester you wish to use your benefits at TSJC. If we do not receive your submitted forms, you will not be certified in the VA system. This will cause a delay in your tuition and fee payments, as well as, any applicable housing and book stipends.
To assist the VA in making the correct payment, students should immediately notify the School Certifying Official (SCO) of any enrollment changes, course drops, withdrawals, or any dates you stop attending classes. Enrollment will be checked after census date of each semester of attendance and any adjustments will be made at that time. Census date is generally two weeks after classes begin. Please allow the VA 30 days after enrollment certification to pay any benefits to you or the school.
* You are responsible for ALL debts resulting from reductions or termination of your enrollment even if the payment was submitted directly to the school on your behalf.
Ch. 33 Post 9/11 allocate funds for tuition and fees paid to the Business Office directly. Part of the fees are tools and supplies that are required for all students enrolled in the class/program. These items must be purchased from TSJC’s bookstore and applied through the Business Office to appear on your bill in order to be paid. The “charging” of these tools and supplies will be allow at the beginning of every term. This will generally be the first 2 weeks before semester begins and end on census date. You must contact the school certifying official for the approval to “charge” or to obtain more details.
Return of Tuition Assistance:
Military Tuition Assistance (TA) is awarded to a student under the assumption that the student will attend school for the entire period for which the assistance is awarded. When a student withdraws, the student may no longer be eligible for the full amount of TA funds originally awarded.
To comply with the new Department of Defense policy, Trinidad State Junior College will return any unearned TA funds on a prorate basis through at least the 60% portion of the period for which the funds were provided. TA funds are earned proportionally during an enrollment period, with unearned funds returned based upon when a student stops attending. These funds are returned to the military Service branch.
Instances when a Service member stops attending due to a military service obligation, the educational institution will work with the affected Service member to identify solutions that will not result in student debt for the returned portion.
For questions or to set up an appointment, please contact:
- Wilma Atencio
Director of Financial Aid and VA Certifying Official
at (719) 846-5017 or 1-800-621-8752 ext. 5017
For in-person appointments at the Valley Campus, a SCO is generally available every Thursday in the Financial Aid Office.