Veteran Benefits

Veteran Benefits Links

Trinidad State Junior College is approved by the Colorado State Approving Agency for Veterans Education. Our degree and certificate programs are approved for payment of educational benefits to those veterans and dependents that are determined eligible by the Veterans Administration.

Veteran education benefits are administered through the Trinidad State  Financial Aid Office.  While this office cannot determine eligibility, the primary function of the School Certifying Official (SCO) is to certify and report enrollment information to the Veterans Administration to facilitate the receipt of benefits by eligible students.

To apply for Veteran Education Benefits with Trinidad State the first time you must:

  • First apply for VA benefits through the VA website:
  • Submit official transcripts from any previous institution(s) attended and your military joint transcript(s) for transfer evaluation. Transcripts should be sent to the Admissions Office at Trinidad State, 600 Prospect St., Trinidad, CO 81082.
    • Joint Service Military Transcripts, can be ordered online at:
    • If transferring to Trinidad State and education benefits were used elsewhere, VA Form 22-1995 Request for Change of Program or Place of Training must be submitted to the Financial Aid Office
  • Be seeking a degree or certificate program approved for education benefits
  • Submit a copy of the Veteran’s DD214 showing the discharge status to the Financial Aid Office
  • Submit a copy of your Certificate of Eligibility Letter to the Financial Aid Office
  • Complete the Intent to Register Application
  • Submit a copy of your Degree Plan signed by your Academic Advisor for each degree/certificate you are seeking.

Every subsequent semester at Trinidad State you must:

  • Maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress
  • Complete the Intent to Register Application
  • Submit a new copy of your Degree Plan signed by your Academic Advisor only if you are changing or adding a new degree/certificate.

It is imperative that you submit The Intent to Register Application and any new Degree Plans you may need for every semester you wish to use your benefits at Trinidad State.  If we do not receive your submitted forms, you will not be certified in the VA system. This will cause a delay in your tuition and fee payments, as well as, any applicable housing and book stipends.

To assist the VA in making the correct payment, students should immediately notify the School Certifying Official (SCO) of any enrollment changes, course drops, withdrawals, or any dates you stop attending classes.  Enrollment will be checked after census date of each semester of attendance and any adjustments will be made at that time. Census date is generally two weeks after classes begin. Please allow the VA 30 days after enrollment certification to pay any benefits to you or the school.

* You are responsible for ALL debts resulting from reductions or termination of your enrollment even if the payment was submitted directly to the school on your behalf.

Return of Tuition Assistance:
Military Tuition Assistance (TA) is awarded to a student under the assumption that the student will attend school for the entire period for which the assistance is awarded. When a student withdraws, the student may no longer be eligible for the full amount of TA funds originally awarded.

To comply with the new Department of Defense policy, Trinidad State Junior College will return any unearned TA funds on a prorate basis through at least the 60% portion of the period for which the funds were provided. TA funds are earned proportionally during an enrollment period, with unearned funds returned based upon when a student stops attending. These funds are returned to the military Service branch.

Instances when a Service member stops attending due to a military service obligation, the educational institution will work with the affected Service member to identify solutions that will not result in student debt for the returned portion.

Written Records
The school maintains a written record of the previous education and training of the veteran or eligible person and clearly indicates that appropriate credit has been given for previous education and training, with the training period shortened proportionately, and the veteran or eligible person and the Department of Veterans Affairs so notified.
  • Trinidad State Junior College keeps all VA records for three years
  • Records are maintained and housed on the Trinidad main campus

For questions or to set up an appointment, please contact:

  • Wilma Atencio
    Director of Financial Aid and VA Certifying Official

    at (719) 846-5017 or 1-800-621-8752 ext. 5017

  • For in-person appointments at the Valley Campus, a SCO is generally available every Thursday in the Financial Aid Office.