Skip to main contentSkip to main navigationSkip to footer content


State Authorization

Trinidad State College is currently working cooperatively with higher education authorities in all states and other U.S. jurisdictions to ensure compliance with state authorization requirements that govern the offering of courses in those states, including complaint processes. TSC will continue to monitor developments in the jurisdictions in which it enrolls students, and, if authorization or licensure is or becomes necessary, it will obtain approvals or provide notice here of the jurisdictions in which it is not authorized to offer courses or programs.

Currently Trinidad State College has approval to offer courses in the following states: Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, California, Connecticut, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Maryland, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, Washington, West Virginia, Wisconsin, Wyoming.

Trinidad State College is currently NOT authorized to offer courses in the following states:
Massachusetts, District of Columbia.

If you are not an on-campus student at TSC and plan to enroll in distance classes, please check the information provided above to verify that your state has either authorized or exempted our college to offer such classes or programs to you as a resident of that state.

If you reside in an “unauthorized” state and plan to take distance education classes, please note that we are not authorized or exempted to offer distance education classes or programs to you as a resident of an “unauthorized” state. For further information or questions regarding future approval, please contact the TSC Registrar at 719-846-5550.

Distance Learning Complaint Process for Out of State Students

Trinidad State College desires to resolve student grievances, complaints and concerns in an expeditious, fair and amicable manner. Students residing outside of the State of Colorado, while attending TSC who desire to resolve a complaint should follow the College's Student Complaint Procedure. However, if an issue cannot be resolved internally, you may file a complaint with your State. Trinidad State College is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission.


Trinidad State has joined the Midwestern State Authorization Reciprocity Agreement (M-SARA). SARA is a nationwide initiative of states that will make distance education courses more accessible to students across state lines and make it easier for states to regulate and institutions to participate in interstate distance education.

Colorado In-State Tuition Requirements

You are classified as a Colorado resident or non-resident for tuition purposes based on the information you provide on your admissions application. To qualify for in-state rates for Trinidad State College, you must:

  1. Physically reside in Colorado for 12 consecutive months.
  2. Have legal ties to Colorado for 12 consecutive months preceding the beginning of the first day of the term with the intent to remain in Colorado indefinitely.

Examples of legal ties (intent) defined by the state of Colorado may include:

  • A Colorado driver’s license
  • Registered voter
  • Colorado vehicle registration
  • Employment
  • Filing and withholding state taxes as a Colorado resident 

Classified as a Non-Resident?

If you have been classified as a non-resident and believe you meet the Colorado residency requirements (based on the guidelines outlined above), please consider what best describes your situation and contact the Registrar (719) 846-5550 to determine if you need to petition for residency:

  • You are a Colorado Resident
  • You or your parents are not US citizens (ASSET/Deferred Action)
  • You are an Honorably Discharged Veteran or Active Duty Military (or dependent)
  • Active Duty Military who are stationed (or TDY) in Colorado and their eligible dependents can receive In-State Tuition rates by presenting a copy of their valid Military ID or active duty orders to the Registrar. Deployed soldiers should contact for assistance with in-state tuition. Veterans (or their eligible dependents) will be considered in-state for tuition purposes. The Veteran’s DD214 needs to be filed with the Registrar and the VA Certifying Official before the beginning of the attendance term.