Skip to main contentSkip to main navigationSkip to footer content

Withdrawal Procedures, Refunds and Return of Aid

Requirements and Procedures of Official Withdrawal

It’s important to know the drop and withdrawal dates for all classes. The dates are listed on the academic calendar or in the course syllabus.

What’s the difference between “drop” and “withdraw”? If you drop a class before the census date, you will receive a tuition refund, and you will not lose College Opportunity Fund (COF) credits. You can withdraw between the census and withdrawal dates. It won’t affect your grade point average. However, you will not get a refund and you will lose COF credits.

A student who earns a grade of D, F or U may repeat the course once for the purpose of improving the grade point average (GPA). The highest grade earned is entered on the transcript and will be counted in calculating the cumulative grade point average. Duplicate credit is not granted for repeating a course.

It is the student’s responsibility to drop or withdraw from classes if they stop attending. You can withdraw from courses for the semester you are enrolled in on the student portal. Look at your detailed class schedule available on the Student tab of your Trinidad State Portal for drop and withdraw deadlines specific to each class. It is recommended that you speak with an advisor prior to dropping or withdrawing from a course. It is important to check with the business and financial aid offices regarding any outstanding balances and/or financial consequences.

If you are an online student, please contact the following:
Bernadine DeGarbo 719-846-5621
Mathilda Westerman 719-589-7026
Or you can contact your advisor.

If you are on campus and wish to withdraw, you can do so by completing, signing, and submitting a Withdrawal form at the Admissions and Records Office on your appropriate campus.

If a student decides to withdraw from a class after the census date, but before the last 20% of the class, and has a passing grade, the grade will be recorded as “W”. A “W” is not counted in computing grade point averages. If a student withdraws during the last 20% of the class, a regular grade will be assigned that does not count in computing grade point averages. Requests for exception to this procedure may be made to the appropriate dean.

Consequences of Withdrawing

Federal financial aid funds may not cover unpaid institutional charges due to a student withdrawal. Therefore, you may still owe funds to Trinidad State to cover unpaid institutional charges. This includes Title IV program funds that Trinidad State is required to return on your behalf.

You will not be able to register for future terms or obtain transcripts until your balance is paid in full. Failure to pay the balance in full within 45 days may result in your account being referred to Enterprise Recovery System (ERS). In addition, you may be placed on an ineligible status for financial aid. Refer to Trinidad State College’s the Satisfactory Academic Progress Policy at

Refund Policy

If a student officially drops from classes prior to the class census date, a 100% refund of tuition will be made. There will be no refund if the student withdraws after the class census date. To be eligible for tuition refunds, students must officially withdraw through the Student Services Office and apply for the refund by presenting the completed documents to the Business Office. The College reserves the right to cancel course offerings where enrollment is too low to make a course educationally sound and/or economically feasible. Course cancellations will result in a refund of tuition.