Skip to main contentSkip to main navigationSkip to footer content

Financial Aid FAQ

How do I apply for financial aid?

You may start by completing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) at Once complete, it may take up to 7-10 days for you and the institution (s) you added to be able to review your aid eligibility. For assistance, please contact Trinidad State financial aid office.

What is your federal school code for financial aid when applying for FAFSA?

            Trinidad State’s code is 001368

What is an EFC number?

EFC stands for Estimated Family Contribution, and is used to determine how much aid a student may be eligible for. This EFC is calculated using what the student reported on the FAFSA, such as income, family size, number of family members attending college, etc. (Retrieved from

What kind of aid is available to me once I apply for FAFSA?

  • Pell Grant: See Trinidad State website at
  • Colorado Student Grant: See Trinidad State website at
  • Federal Supplemental Education Opportunity Grant (FSEOG): See Trinidad State website at
  • Student Loans:
    • Subsidized: Need-based loans in which interest is not accrued while enrolled at least half time.
    • Unsubsidized: No need-based loan in which interest is accrued while student is enrolled in school.
    • Direct PLUS Loans: A loan that parents may apply for to help pay towards their student’s tuition. Interest is not accrued while student is enrolled at least half time.
  • Work Study:
    What is work study and how do I apply?
    • Work Study is a financial aid program designed to assist students with employment opportunities on campus or within the community. This is a regular paid position in which a student will receive a bi-monthly paycheck. Students must be enrolled in at least 12 credit hours, be a resident, and have an active FAFSA for the current academic year (retrieved from Contact the Financial Aid office to express interest or complete the Work Study Interest Form on the Trinidad State website.

When will I see my financial aid applied to my account?

            Funds will be disbursed after the census date of each semester.

            Please refer to the academic calendar on the Trinidad State website.

Does Trinidad State accept alternative loans?

Sallie Mae

Does Trinidad State accept outside scholarships?

Please submit a copy of the scholarship award letter to the financial aid office.

All scholarship checks, please submit to the Business Office.

I submitted my FAFSA and was notified that I am eligible for Federal Student Aid. Where can I see my financial aid award?

Log in to your Trinidad State Student Portal on the website. Click on the “Financial Aid Award” icon, select the academic year and all your awards will be listed for each academic year under “Aid Overview”.

Do I qualify for Financial Aid?

Qualifications depend on what you report on your FAFSA, and what your EFC is generated at after completing the FAFSA. The amount of credit hours also effect aid eligibility. Please contact the financial aid office for further information.
(Retrieved from

I received a message that I have Outstanding Financial Aid Requirements. What does this mean?

Financial aid is requiring additional information to verify information reported on the FAFSA. You may find these requirements in your student portal on the Trinidad State website under the “Financial Aid Requirements” icon, or contact the Financial aid office. Outstanding Financial Aid Requirements will delay your aid to be awarded.

How and when will I receive my financial aid? I “accepted” the award in my portal but nothing happened?

Aid will be automatically applied towards tuition and fees after the census date of each semester.

What is a refund?

If the amount of financial aid you are receiving exceeds the amount of tuition and fees that you owe, you will receive a refund for the difference to use toward education related expenses.
(Retrieved from

How do I receive my refund?

Once you become a student at Trinidad State, you will receive instructions on how to set up a Bank Mobile account. Depending on how you set up your account will determine how and when you will receive your refund. Please contact the Business Office if you have any bank mobile questions.

What is Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP)?

Federal and state regulations require that all financial aid recipients meet specific academic standards called Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP). Except for some private and institutional funds, all types of financial aid (grants, loans and work-study) are affected by this policy. SAP status is determined at the end of each term.

The three components of Satisfactory Academic Progress are: Cumulative GPA of 2.0 or above, Cumulative completion rate of 67% or above, and Maximum time frame for the degree or program. Students must complete a degree or certificate prior to attempting 150% of the number of credits needed for their degree or certificate.
(received from

My portal says I am ineligible for aid, why?
What is an appeal and why do I need it?

If a student has not met any of the Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) requirements (Cumulative GPA of 2.0 or above, Cumulative completion rate of 67% or above, or exceeded the maximum time frame for the degree or program), they will be placed on suspension, making them ineligible for aid for the semester they are attending.

The student may complete an appeal that would need to be reviewed by the Director of Financial Aid, in which the appeal may be approved or denied. If approved, student will be given terms that they will need to meet in order to receive their financial aid. Status of the appeal will be reviewed at the end of each semester to make sure terms of the appeal are being met.

The appeal form may be found on the Trinidad State financial aid page under “forms”, or contact the financial aid office for assistance.

How many credit hours are required to qualify for Financial Aid?

All financial aid awards are offered with the assumption of full-time (12+ credit hour) enrollment. Students may take less than 12 credit hours, but their grant awards (Pell, CSG, and/or SEOG) will be prorated in accordance to the number of credit hours the student is taking (which may be less than what they were estimated to receive).
(received from

What is the difference between drop and withdraw?

When a student unenrolls from a class BEFORE the Census Date (see important dates/academic calendar). Students will not be charged for classes they unenroll from.

When a student unenrolls from a class AFTER the Census Date. Students will still be charged for the class that was unenrolled.

How will financial aid be affected if I withdraw?

As a financial aid recipient, you are expected to successfully complete at least 67% of all of the classes you attempt and maintain a cumulative 2.0 GPA. Not completing a class for any reason could affect the amount of financial aid you are currently eligible for and any future financial aid eligibility. There is also the possibility that the student that withdraws may have to pay a portion of the funds back to the Department of Education, which is considered Return to Title IV.