Prator Gun Range
The Trinidad State College Prator Shooting Range is located six and a half miles southeast of Trinidad and features beautiful vistas and state-of-the-art equipment. A five-station trap shooting range was built in 2012 and in 2013 a skeet shooting range was built. Lights make it possible to shoot trap and skeet at night. The range also features a rifle and pistol range with distances up to 100 yards. The 100 yard range has four shooting lanes, eight lanes at 50 yards. The pistol course has movable targets for various distances. Restroom, a classroom and a workbench are provided on site.
PRATOR RANGE HOURS
Open Saturday & Sunday – 9am to 5pm
Other days by appointment
For hours or further information, contact:
Ryan Newport -- 719-422-3355
When the predicted high temp. for the day is 32 degrees or there is better than 40% chance for snow, Prator Range will NOT be open.
Individuals interested in volunteering to help keep the Prator Range open for public
use please contact:
Toni DeAngelis -- via email or call 719-846-5520
Secondary email - email@example.com
* Volunteers must be willing to take the necessary training.
PRATOR RANGE FEES
Lifetime memberships are also available
Rifle and Pistol Range Daily Rates
Range members no cost
Trap and Skeet
Range members $5.00 for 25 clay targets
Non-members $7.00 for 25 clay targets
NRA Members Individual $40 Family $60
TSC employees Individual $20 Family $30
Non-NRA Members Individual $60 Family $90
(Non-NRA) Individual $30 Family $45
The range is located at 42013 County Road 24.6. From downtown Trinidad go east on Main Street to Grey Creek Road (County Road 24.6) and turn south for six miles. Grey Creek Road is located between Comi Funeral Home and San Isabel Electric.
Prator Gun Range History
The range was built in 1976 and was named after Bill Prator, a former instructor in the renowned Trinidad State Gunsmithing Program. The range is owned by the Trinidad State College Foundation.
Bill Prator was a machine shop student at TSC in 1940, then worked for Remington Arms and Army Service prior to a 5-year stint with acclaimed gunsmith P.O. Ackley in his private business until 1950. Ackley was a driving force in establishing the Gunsmithing Program at TSC in 1947. Prator joined the instructional staff in 1950 and became the program’s second instructor. He was an instructor in the program for 32 years. The gun range, financed by the TSC Foundation in 1978, was dedicated to Prator in 1982 by the Foundation for his countless efforts and perseverance to get the range in working operation. Prator passed away on September 7, 2008.
His family made an initial contribution to create the Prator Range Endowment Fund in 2013. To make donations to the Prator Range Endowment fund contact Toni DeAngelis -- via email or call 719-846-5520.